Agate Hunters, Rock Hounds to Flock to Oregon Coast
(Newport, Oregon) – Father's Day weekend finds rock hunters, agate lovers and fossil collectors coming together for the annual Oregon Coast Agate Club's Gem & Mineral Show at the Lincoln County Fairgrounds. The three-day event happens June 19-21, and boasts dozens of vibrant display cases, dealers, demonstrations, children’s activities, silent auction, raffle, door prizes and food. Admission is only $2 for adults, $1 for youth, children under 6 years of age are free.
Member and dealers display cases showcase gem, mineral and fossil collections as well as a wide range of high-caliber lapidary work and jewelry. Dealers are also on hand for lapidary demonstrations as well as providing equipment and mineral material for purchase. The show is open Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This year's Gem & Mineral Show includes:
- Cota's Lapidary (Lebanon) - bookends, crystals, specimens, beads, jewelry, rough rock, spheres, petrified wood (featured on the Discovery Channel’s “Cash Into Treasures” Show”
- The Opal Zone (Cheshire) - rough opal, opal specimens, opal jewelry
- Delta One Lapidary (Waldport) - demonstrator/dealer for faceting, lapidary equipment
- Gem Brite Lapidary (Tillamook) - rough rock, specimens, spheres, jewelry, slabs
- J&L Mining & Minerals (Azalea) - rough rock, slabs, cabochons, jewelry, spheres
- Aurora West (Seal Rock) - amethyst cathedrals
- B& L Enterprises (Harbor) - finished jewelry
- Emily Perhaps (Silverton) - wire wrapping, silver forging and demonstrator
- Nature's Art (Lincoln City) - lapidary spheres
- Nicoli Alexander (Grants Pass) - silver work and demonstrator
- Ramrock Supplies (Lebanon) - findings, hand tools
- Third Rock (Gaston) - books, mineral crystals
- Rooster's Rocks (South Beach) - rough, slabs, jewelry
A wide variety of rocks, gems, minerals and fossils will be auctioned off throughout the weekend along with regular door prizes being drawn. Raffle tickets will be on sale during the show for a Sunday drawing of dozens of specimens, sunstones, jewelry, books, lapidary gifts and large-display materials. Every one attending will receive a free polished agate and an Oregon beach fossil compliments of the Club membership.
Oregon Coast Agate Club members host the 46st annual Gem & Mineral Show at the Lincoln County Fairgrounds in Newport (633 NE 3rd St). Proceeds from the show support Club activities, field trips and its youth program. The Oregon Coast Agate Club is affiliated with the Northwest and American Federations of Mineralogical Societies. The club is open to membership to any one with an interest in rocks, gems, minerals and fossils.
More Newport Events
June 22 - June 25. HMSC Summer Day Camp: “Animal Adaptations”. Explore marine organisms from plankton to whales and discover the amazing adaptations they have for surviving in their environment. Ages 7 - 9. Hatfield Marine Science Center. 2030 SE Marine Science Drive, Newport, Oregon 97365. 541-867-0159. http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu.
June 27. Hatfield Marine Science Center’s “SeaFest 2009”. Don't miss Newport's most interesting festival of the year! It's a fun-filled day of hands-on learning about the natural world. Perfect for the whole family and even better...it’s Free! http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu.
June 29 - July 2. HMSC Summer Day Camp: “Bayfront Quest Camp”. Investigate local fisheries, explore the bayfront, interview local fisheries experts, and even do some crabbing…then create a clever, clue-directed hunt called a "Quest" to share with the public. Also receive an Oregon Coast Quests Book! 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. 541-867-0159. http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu.
For more about Newport lodging....